Monday, September 10, 2012

Big Money, Big Money, Big MONEY!

The winner of the most memorable day of the week goes to... Friday! 1st on the agenda after school and work was go to an opening social, that the Marriott School was putting on for all of the new members of the college. Why? Free J-dawgs. As we entered they gave us raffle tickets. The rewards were $10, $20, and $50. 50 dollars is a lot of money but they said that wasn't even the grand prize. What could be better than 50 dollars. 100 dollars? We enjoyed the music, company, and food. Sooner than later the very nicely dressed student council announced they would be reading the raffle. Like I always do I tell everyone around me that "I never win at these things." I know those of you that have read the book The Secret know that I violated one of the first laws: cast out all doubt and let the energies of the universe work in your favor. Well I think that book is wrong. I guess you could say my thing is using reverse psychology with the energies of the universe.

They start reading out numbers and the first one picked is my friend Hannah Grigg (shout out to H. Griggy). What are the odds? There were over a 100 people there. She presented herself appropriately. Excited, yet composed, as she claimed her $10 Wells Fargo spend-anywhere-prize-card. Jealous.

Next thing you know another girl, Ashley, from our circle gets called up. I smiled on the outside but struggled to balance the turmoil of emotions caused by once again "never winning these things." They then announce that there were 6 spots open for the grand prize: breakfast with the dean. That better be a darn good breakfast if it is worth more than $50.

The first number they read is a 9, then a 7, then a 1, then a... wait those are the first three numbers on my ticket! Then a 6, oh Merna! Then an 8, holy xanidu? Then a 2 and finishing strong with a 6.  Did I forget my glasses? Oh wait I don't have reading glasses. I won! I screamed like Macaulay Culkin on Home Alone when he put after shave on his face for the first time. I was then a little embarrassed that I was so excited that I couldn't stop laughing. Laur and Mer, remember the one time you let me answer the phone after hours at dad's office and I couldn't stop laughing even though nothing that I was saying was the least bit humorous? "Dr. Glade's office, how can I... bahhahahaha." Well my major and name aren't that funny but I could help but chuckle. I won!

You can all look forward to a report about breakfast with the dean! Everyone says it is going to be a wonderful networking opportunity! I will have to prepare for that but I am just looking forward to a $50 breakfast. Yay.

2 comments:

  1. H Griggy here, I thought I should add a side note that I was thinking positively . . . for our entire group . . . so maybe the secret does work!

    ReplyDelete